International shopping tips for Australians
Thinking about buying clothes, makeup, shoes or electronic goods and more from overseas shops? It is easy but can seem bit daunting, here are 3 tips that will help make your international shopping go smoothly.
- Buy with a credit card for extra protection
- Shop from a reputable overseas online shop
- Familiarize yourself with each shop’s shipping and return policies before you buy.
Can I Get Free Worldwide Shipping to Australia on my shopping?
The short answer is yes! Many international online shopping websites will ship to Australia, and many of them will ship for free. Sometimes you will have to spend over a minimum threshold of around $40-$100. But by shopping internationally you can increase the choice of products and clothing available to you, and find the latest styles and fashions from USA, Europe, UK and the world!
Overseas Consumer Protection Laws
If you are buying from overseas, for example, the USA or UK, you will probably be bound by that country’s consumer protection laws. Both the UK and USA have good consumer protection law that protects the buyer from seller’s selling faulty goods. You should find that return, cancellation policies and shipping costs must be displayed clearly.
Australian Import Duty and Taxes
- For shopping shipped to Australia that are worth equal to or under AU$1,000, there are no duties, taxes or charges to pay.
- For purchases that are worth more than AU$1,000, you will need to fill out a special form called an Import Declaration, and pay the correct duties, taxes and charges.
- You will need to pay duties and taxes on some goods (eg tobacco or alcohol) regardless of their value.
- Certain goods are not allowed to be imported into Australia, or else need special permits. For example gas and electrical and electronic goods must meet Australian safety standards.
- What is an Import Declaration (N10) – Post (Form B374)? This is the import declaration form, from Customs.gov.uk – the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, you may need to fill in if you are purchasing goods over the value of 1000 Australian Dollars from abroad.
Favourite Online International clothes Shops that ship to Australia & Comparison with Domestic Australian Retailers
|Shop||Free delivery?||Returns Period||Shop||Free delivery?||Returns period|
|ASOS.com/au||Over $40||28 days||GeneralPants.com.au||Express over $75||10 days|
|Boohoo.com||Over $40||30 days||The Iconic||Over $50||100 days|
|Missguidedau.com||Over $40||100 days||HuntersandGatherers.com.au||All orders||60 days|
|ROMWE.com||Over $50||30 days||MissHolly.com.au||Express over $75||14 days|
|Topshop.com||14 days||PrincessPolly.com||Over $50||30 days|
|UrbanOutfitters.com||30 days||SurfStitch.com||Express over $50||100 days|
|Forever21.com||30 days||Booktopia||5 days|
|NastyGal.com.au||Over $175||30 days||Amazon.com.au|
|BookDepository.com||All orders||30 days|
|Amazon.com Global||30 days|
Who is buying from overseas?
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian consumers spent at least AUS$6.23 billion on cross border (overseas) purchases in 2013 alone! Aussies love international shopping. The most popular online shopping from foreign websites is for clothing, shoes and electrical goods. Clothes, make up and shoes can be expensive in Australia, and many international shops sell clothes, dresses and other clothing items cheaply with competitive shipping, sometimes clothes, makeup and shoes will be shipped worldwide for free.
Exchange Rates for Shoppers
Many international shops offer prices in Australian Dollars, just for Aussie shoppers, and most will even accept AUD as payment. But, in case you are wondering here is a rough guide to the exchange rates with the UK, USA and NZ.
AUD/GBP – around 0.50-0.58 British Pounds = 1 Aussie Dollar.
AUD/USD – around 0.80-0.75 US Dollars = 1 Australian Dollar.
AUD/NZD – around 1.05-1.0 New Zealand Dollar = 1 AUD.
Federated on January 1st 1901, Australia has the world’s 12th largest economy. It is made up of six states and two territories. The name Australia is derived from the Latin word australis meaning Southern, and the Southern Cross features on the Australian flag. People who live there are affectionately known as Aussies, and the country Oz.
More International Shops.
Our directory is stuffed full of shops from all over the world that deliver to Australia. Here is our full list of online shops with free worldwide shipping.
- Why not leave a comment, or if you have shopped at one of these shops, please leave a review to help others! If you have bought a new dress, some clothing, nail polish or make up or boots, sandals and shoes, please leave a review for your favourite shops.
- You can also get involved in the community of international shoppers in our forum. You can earn points which can mean prizes!
- Stay in the loop and sign up to our Australian shopping email newsletter, we will send out the best shopping tips and advice and coupons and deals for the best global clothing, shoe shop and make-up online shops from all over the world.
Congratulations to the Australian cricket team for winning the Cricket World Cup 2015!
Happy International Shopping!